Tuesday 29 March 2011

Norway

Norway
Artist - Stella Mwangi
Song - Haba Haba
Draw - Semi-Final 1, Place 2

Kenyan born Stella Mwangi, won the right to represent Norway, through the Norwegian selection process, Melodi Grand Prix. From the beginning she was the favourite to win the show. As well as being a singer, Stella is also a pianist, rapper and songwriter, who often writes about Kenyan life, as well as the troubles she and her family faced when they moved to Norway in the early 1990s. She has had major hits in Kenya, as well as Gambia and Senegal. Some of her work has been used in films and TV shows such as American Pie and Scrubs.

Her song for Eurovision 2011, is african themed "Haba Haba" (Little by Little), which she wrote herself. It is a motivational song, which explains how to never give up your dreams. Below are examples of this taken from the two main verses of the song -

  • When I’s a little girl my grandma told me, that I could be just anything that I wanted to
  • When I’s a little girl my grandma told me, that it’s the little things in life that’s gone make me happy

When Stella wrote the song, she based it on actual past events, which were based around her complaining to her grandmother, that she couldn't get what she wanted quick enough.
To This her grandmother replied "Haba haba, Hujaza Kibaba" which is Swahili for Little by little, you will get what you wish (rough translation).

The song peaked at Number 1 on the Norwegian charts VG-lista.

Current Betting Odds (William Hill) - 10/1
My Prediction - Will definitely make the top 10.

If Haba Haba is your favourite song this year, vote for Norway in my Scandanavian Poll!!


                              Lykke til Norge!

Check this blog out later today for Denmark's profile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment